Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinesella


Title:                    I’ve Got Your Number
Author:                    Sophie Kinsella
Release Date:         February 14, 2012
Publisher:                The Dial Press
Genre:                      Fiction, Adult, Chick Lit
Pages:                      466

My Thoughts

Imagine losing your heirloom engagement ring during a “let me try the ring on” shuffle amongst friends, and then having your phone snatched by a thief…. Welcome to Poppy’s world.

Poppy can’t risk her fiancé and his family finding out, the only option is to contact everyone and find the ring –fast. Unfortunately she is without a phone, but luckily enough she happens to find an abandoned cell phone in a trashcan. Well it’s her only option currently and finders, keepers, right? Unfortunately the owner of the phone, does not agree – and she is now receiving calls and texts meant for him...

This was a fun, light and quick read. Perfect for fans of Kinsella’s previous work, fans of other British Chick Lit authors, and Contemporary Romantic Comedies. Personally, I enjoyed this very much – I found myself laughing out loud and very much enjoyed the interactions between Poppy and Sam. I found the story to be charming and fun – a definite breath of fresh air and a great pick me up read!

I liked Poppy, and though I found myself cringing in embarrassment on her behalf at times, I still found her to be a fun main character and very relatable. There were many other charming characters, but I enjoyed Poppy and Sam the most.  Although I did find the initial idea behind the set up a bit unlikely, Kinsella plays it off as a fun romantic-comedy romp that feels if not plausible than believable, and fun very, very fun.

 I definitely enjoyed myself while reading this one and will be hanging on to it to read again at a later date. Overall, I would recommend this book as a perfect Chick Lit read – it was cheerful, fast-paced, and thoroughly enjoyable. I can’t wait for Kinsella’s next stand-alone novel!

I will make one note regarding format – I bought this book on Kindle and was not able to enjoy it as fully as I would have liked. Much of the story and humor in this book is included in footnotes at the bottom of the page (which is not accessible on Kindle, and are all stored at the back). So it is doable to read either way, I would have preferred an actual copy so I could easily enjoy this part. Something to think about when choosing your format!


Recommendations:  


If you enjoyed this book and are looking for more Contemporary Adult Chick Lit reads try:


The Little Lady Agency – Hester Browne
Don’t Want to Miss A Thing - Jill Mansell
Boy Meets Girl – Meg Cabot
She Went All – Meg Cabot
Queen of Babble – Meg Cabot
Holly’s Inbox – Holly Denham
           

Rating:

 5 out of 5 Doxies –  Loved it! A must read, reread, and own it book!


Jenn
 Tale of Two Doxies

                            

3 comments:

  1. I have never read anything from this author, but have heard good things. I so get you on the format, it can easily make you hate the book if the digital copy is not right!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like contemporary romantic comedies, I would highly recommend trying her. I couldn't get into her Shopaholic series, but I own and loved all of her stand-alone books. As for the format, I definitely agree - it's super disappointing when they don't match up for experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I need to read this, because it sort of reminds me of my favorite romcom ever, One Fine Day!

    ReplyDelete