Sunday, June 22, 2014

Only Everything by Kiernan Scott - YA Review



Only Everything by Kiernan Scott

When Eros (aka Cupid) is expelled from Olympus for defying Zeus after falling in love with Orion, she is banished to what she believes to be hell. We call it New Jersey. If she ever wants to go back to the comforts of her old life, she will have to find love for three couples—without using her powers.

Eros, now calling herself True, immediately identifies her first project in Charlie and believes finding him love will be a piece of cake. Charlie is new at school and eager to break out of his old image of band geek, so it’s lucky for him when he falls in with the right crowd on his first day. But music is still his passion. That is, until he meets Katrina...

Katrina is floundering after the death of her father and takes refuge with a boy who, while not entirely supportive, will be there when she needs him, unlike her mother. Too bad True thinks any girl Charlie talks to is perfect for him. Can she get out of her own way and help Charlie and Katrina connect, or will she be stuck in New Jersey forever? (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

I knew I would be reading this one the second I saw the author's name - Kiernan Scott - on the front cover. Ms. Scott is an author I have always enjoyed whether I'm reading a YA Contemporary Romance by her under her Scott writing persona, or a Contemporary YA-Mystery-Drama under her other name Kate Brian. This one was especially intriguing because well, read the blurb: YA Contemp setting - check, Mythology mix in - check, amazing author - check. Well, looks all good from my end!
               For those wondering if this book is one for you, I'd say if you are a fan of YA Contemporaries, Mythology ( especially in the modern world), Teen Romance, and/or Kiernan Scott/Kate Brian  - go ahead and grab this one asap.

Highlights:
+ Concept: I really enjoyed the whole premise of a Greek Goddess of love incognito as a normal teenager in high school. Personally, the blurb grabbed me right away- it sounded light, fun, humorous and like a perfect summer read.
+Characters: It doesn't happen often, but I can honestly say I enjoyed all three of the main characters (Eros/True, Katrina, Charlie). Usually with multiple main characters , I find I favor some over others or don't enjoy or appreciate some as much. In this case I really loved the changing perspective and really felt for/enjoyed each of them.
+True's Learning Curve: I found it amusing to see "our world" through a goddess' eyes. True's learning curve was definitely funny, and added a nice touch to the storyline. I enjoyed that she didn't just come to earth and blend in effortlessly and know what to do, say, and how to act.
+Narrators POV:  I really liked the distinction between each characters POV. It was easy to flow from one character to another because it was very clear who you were hearing from the whole time.

Wishes
Hmm...well as always when I enjoy a book and it makes me laugh, cry, and/or happy/content - it's always really hard to think up wishes. However, even with the very best books, one can generally come up with at least a wish or two...
Audio Nitpick - I read this book in a combination of listening to the audio while commuting and reading my physical copy at home (which has a really great cover by the way!). One thing I found a bit confusing at times when listening was True's narration whenever she had flashbacks. The chapters all tell who is narrating at the beginning (True, Charlie, Katrina), however, when reading it you can see the change in font to indicate a flashback for True. When listening obviously there is no distinction, other than listening and realizing it is not a present day True narration. I always figured this out and I don't know how one might fix this in an audio book, but like I said, it's a tiny nitpick.
Charlie & Katrina - more of them please! I really loved the two characters and hope to see more of them in coming books :)

Overall, I really enjoyed this read and will definitely be continuing on with the series. (I was super disappointed to see I have to wait until September for the next installment!) As always, Kiernan Scott/Kate Brian, has left me wanting more and with a new series to follow. It's a light, fun read, perfect for a summer read - especially pool side if you ask me! So if you enjoy contemporary romance, true love, and a side of mythology - what are you waiting for? Go pick this one up and enjoy!
Rating:  
4 out of 5 Doxies - So great, I really enjoyed this one - go pick it up quick before book 2 comes out!!

Recommendations - 
Oh My Gods by Tera Lynn Childs
Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs
Abandon by Meg Cabot
Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols


Jenn @ Tale of Two Doxies

No comments:

Post a Comment